Where is the fall color? Due to the overnight temperatures being 9 degrees warmer on average, this is a record year for fall…and not in a good way. The leaves are changing but seem to be falling off the trees as rapidly as they are changing color. If you’ve made the trek to Western North Carolina this weekend anyway, please see the list of where you might want to enjoy the beauty of fall.
Higher elevations like Mount Mitchell and Craggy gardens have already dropped most of the leaves. Elevations between 2000-3500 should have the best color this weekend and the first weekend in November. According to the “Asheville Citizen-Times” writers:
- Chimney Rock
- Blue Ridge Parkway at Haywood – Jackson County line, milepost 431, or Waterrock Knob at milepost 455.
- Whitewater Falls, off N.C. 281 near Gorges State Park
So what about things to do regarding Halloween? Festivities begin this weekend. You may want to start out by getting your costume at the tent by the Asheville Mall.
Haunted Tours are a must! Again, according to the citizen times, you have plenty to choose from:
Finally, take a look at all of these Halloween parties throughout town:
- MG Road: Monster Makeout Dance Party, 254-4363
- Grove House Entertainment Complex, 505-1612
- The Mothlight Halloween Party, 252-5433
- Zansa: A Celebration of Masks at Isis Restaurant and Music Hall, 575-2737
- Nightbell’s Halloween Masquerade Gala, 575-0375