I love being “in the know” about the future of Asheville and building. One of our commercial agents spoke this week at our weekly sales meeting about upcoming AVL building projects. Here’s the lowdown:
Hotels galore! With our hotels (not only in the fall anymore) at 99% occupancy, we need more and developers are jumping on it!
The above image is of the former BB&T building shown as a shell and the rendering of the hotel/condominium complex at completion.
Others coming near downtown:
- AC Hotel (Marriott) 9 stories with rooftop bar “Capella”
- Holiday Inn Hotel across from Doubletree in Biltmore Village, 6 stories 117 rooms
- Hampton Inn next to Doubletree, 132 rooms
- Cambria across from the Grove Arcade, 138 rooms, rooftop bar “Hemingways”
- Town Place Suites where old Exxon is located on Charlotte Street
- Asheville Foundry Inn near “The Block”
- Courtyard by Marriott across from Habitat in Biltmore village, 112 rooms
- Biltmore Station Hotel, behind the Biltmore station shopping center, 120 rooms
- Home 2 Suites, 325 Biltmore across from old Ford dealership, 76 rooms
- The Parisian in the old Bank of America building downtown, boutique
- The Element, near our downtown Beverly-Hanks office right before the tunnel 7 stories, 100 rooms
Wow! This is just a list for near downtown! Tourist business is on the rise!
Onto restaurants and bars…
- The Old Hannah Flannigans is a going to be a pizza place
- The Old Vincenzos will be an upscale Mexican Restaurant
- Calypso, 18 N Lexington – Caribbean
- Babo Nahm in Grove Arcade, Rezaz new restaurant fast food version
- Tako Sushi in South Slope, this is a chain, I’ve eaten at one in Greenville and it is great! Tacos OR sushi, not combined 🙂
- Pizza Mind, 285 Haywood Road, Wow! Lot’s of Pizza…do they offer gluten-free? Archetype brewing going in right behind Pizza Mind
- Anchor Bar & Kitchen in place of Buffalo Nichol in W Asheville. Barleys owners!!!
- Hillman Brewing in Biltmore Village will offer a deli above for when you get the munchies!
- Virgola Wine Bar in Biltmore Station will offer oysters! Count me in!
- Rustic Grape Vine near Aloft hotel
- District Wine Bar in RAD Wedge studio
Now this is crazy!!! Our road systems will NOT support what is going on, but what does the city do?
I cannot even list all of them here because there are so many popping up everywhere.
The biggest development/concern is at Biltmore village. There are actually two different apartment complexes at almost completion, one at a higher elevation, and one on the river. They are 2 and 3 bedroom and total over 600 units! Navigation is either through Biltmore Village via Sweeten Creek, Fairview through Oakley to 285, or Thompson St. by the river which either takes you back through Biltmore Village or into the mall area. Neither choice is good…they are both incredibly congested.
If you are planning on buying a vacation home or relocating here, you should consider these potential traffic bottlenecks!